History

History of St Cuby Church

Cuby is a civil parish and village in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom, situated approximately 7 miles south-west of St Austell.

The church of Cuby is dedicated to Saint Cuby, a Welsh saint: since the parish church of Tregony was lost to the River Fal ca. 1540 Cuby Parish Church has been in fact the parish church of Tregony. The church was rebuilt in 1828 though some of the medieval masonry still exists on the north side and the tower is of the 14th century.

The parish of Cuby (Cornish: Sen Kubi) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by Creed, on the east by St Ewe and St Michael Caerhays, on the south by Veryan, and on the west by Cornelly and Probus. The parish of Cuby is named after its patron, Saint Cuby. The parish is now actually referred to as Cuby-with-Tregony St James; the parish includes the borough of Tregony, (Cornish: Trerigni), hich is often referred to in old documents as Tregony St James.

About 700 years ago Tregony was a busy port when Truro hardly existed; although it is difficult to imagine it today when the only water in sight is the tiny river Fal at the bottom of Tregony Hill. In those days the river was much wider, but has since silted up, no doubt due to tin streaming further up the river. Tregony Borough was invested with the priviliges of a manor and court leet before the Norman conquest of 1066. It is mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086 when there was land for five ploughs, but only 2 actually there. There were five serfs, three villages and six smallholders.